Wind Energy Engineering
Basic competence: Electrical Engineering
As electric engineer you ensure the transformation from mechanical into electrical energy, design the grid connection and you are involved in control design.
|Electrical Energy Conversion and Grid Connection|
Competence Area: Electrical Energy Conversion and Grid Connection
Following the mechanical energy conversion of the wind conducted by the rotor and powertrain the electrical energy conversion must be taken care of. Depending on the turbine concept different generator types can be utilised in combination with converters to assure a variable speed operation of the turbine. As an electrical engineer you are also responsible for the grid connection design and therefore ensure that consumer is supplied with electrical energy regardless of whether is was produced on- or offshore. Besides of being in charge of the electrical energy conversion you are involved in the control design as well.
During your studies you will have the possibility to put the newly acquired knowledge into praxis by learning various software programs. Excel and Matlab are basic software tools that are widely used within our research. However, prior knowledge is not required. Depending on the specialization und personal interest further software tools might be added to that list. Check the module description for further information on software. Besides, project planner are using the software WindPRO, the market leading software for computer aided windfarm design. A software catalogue with discounted offers for students enrolled at the Leibniz University can be found here. The university and the institutes offer tutorials for most of the software tools mentioned above.
Planning and Operation of Electric Power Systems
- Tasks concerning grid design and grid operation are outlined
- The students are enabled to process typical grid design duties using computer programmes
Control of Electrical Three-phase Machines
- Control engineering methods are applied to direct current machines
- Modern field-oriented control methods of electrical three-phase machines are teached
- Tutorials with Matlab & Simulink
Control of Wind Energy Turbines
- Basics concering the modelling, analysis and controller synthesis are teached focussing on the control of wind energy turbines